7 People Foods That Can Kill Your Dog

Dogs October 15, 2015 Admin 0

While dogs can safely eat a wide variety of foods commonly eaten by people, there are some that can make dogs sick enough to... 7 People Foods That Can Kill Your Dog

While dogs can safely eat a wide variety of foods commonly eaten by people, there are some that can make dogs sick enough to die. Here are 7 people foods that you can kill your dog.

1. Chocolate

Eating chocolate can kill your dog. All types of chocolate contain methylxanthines (caffeine and theobromine), which are responsible for creating toxic reactions in dogs. The darker the color of the chocolate is, the more dangerous it is for your dog. White chocolate contains such low levels of methylxanthines that your dog is likely to experience only the mildest of symptoms. However, dark chocolate has higher levels, and so, its ingestion leads to a more toxic reaction. You should prevent your pet from eating any type of chocolate, including candy, cookies, cakes, brownies, chocolate chips, cocoa, and frosting. Unsweetened cocoa powder is the most toxic type since it has the highest levels of methylxanthines.

ADVERTISEMENTS

The problem seems to stem from the fact that dogs develop an adverse reaction to theobromine, one of the methylxanthines found in the chocolate. Even though humans are capable of digesting and processing theobromine, dogs do not have the same ability. Instead, this chemical remains in its natural state and causes health problems for your pet. Rather than risk your dog’s health or life, you should try and keep all types of chocolate out of his reach.

The type of reaction your dog has to the chocolate depends on which type it is and how much is eaten. The ingestion of small amounts of chocolate might only cause a mild reaction, featuring difficulty in settling down and restlessness for your dog. As the severity of toxicity increases, so does the danger to your dog. Ingesting larger amounts of chocolate can lead to abdominal discomfort, vomiting, excessive thirst, muscle tremors, severe agitation, and an increase in your dog’s body temperature. Unfortunately, dogs that experience the severest form of toxicity can suffer seizures, irregular heart rhythm, and death. A veterinarian should be called if your dog experiences more than restlessness.

PrevPAGE 1 OF 8



Tags: